This release updates the Power Tools for the Database Edition to work with Visual Studio 2008 and provides several new features. The new features include two custom unit test conditions, a new Data Generation Wizard, and new MSBuild tasks to support running TSQL Static Code Analysis from the command line. The updated features include 5 refactoring types, a dependency viewer, additional data generators and editors, 2 MSBuild tasks for Schema and Data Compare and the TSQL Static Code Analysis feature
New Test Conditions for Database Unit Tests
- ChecksumCondition – You can use this test condition to verify that the checksum of the data set returned by a database unit test matches the checksum of an expected data set.
- ExpectedSchemaTestCondition – You can use this test condition to verify that the column names and data types of the returned data set match expected values.
Data Generator Improvements
- New Data Generator Wizard – This new wizard creates a data generation plan that is configured to copy data from a source database. You can use this wizard when you need to copy most of your data from a live source, but need to make small changes to ensure privacy.
MSBuild Task Improvements
- SqlAnalysis Task – You can use this build task to run T-SQL Static Code Analysis from MSBuild.
TSQL Static Code Analysis
- Static Code Analysis - A precursor to the functionality that will be in future versions of VSTS that will allow you to perform Static Code Analysis on T-SQL code.
- “Move Schema” Refactoring - Allows a user to right click on an object and move it to a different but existing schema
- SP Rename Generation - Generate a new script that will contain sp_renames for all rename refactored objects that the user can then execute.
- Wildcard Expansion - Automatically expand the wildcard in a select to the appropriate columns.
- Fully-Qualified Name Support - Automatically inject fully-qualified names when absent in a script
- Refactoring extended to Dataset - Refactor into strongly typed dataset definitions
- Data / Schema Compare Build Tasks - MSBuild tasks that can generate scripts as if the user had run the Data / Schema compare UI
- API Access to Schema View - Insert / Update / Delete to schema View and list schema objects and their associated files
Dependency Tool Window
- Dependency Tree - Show the dependencies ( incoming / outgoing ) for selected schema objects in a new tool window
- Script Preprocessor - Expand SQLCMD variables and include files and command line version (sqlspp.exe) & an MSBuild version ( wraps the command line version )
The power tool is available on MS Download Center