This release includes everything from the previous Power Tools release and includes two great new tools, the Team Foundation Server Best Practices Analyzer and Work Item Templates.
Team Foundation Server Best Practices Analyzer
This release of the Team Foundation Power Tools includes the first release of the Team Foundation Server Best Practices Analyzer (Team Foundation Server BPA).
The Team Foundation Server BPA is a diagnostic tool that performs the following functions:
- Gathers configuration information from a Team Foundation Server deployment
- Performs specific tests on the Team Foundation Server deployment
- Analyzes the collected information according to specific rules and reports the findings as information, warning, or error messages
- Provides links to articles to resolve warning and error messages
You can use the Team Foundation Server BPA in either a pre-installation or a production Team Foundation Server environment. You can use the Team Foundation Server BPA to perform the following tasks:
- Proactively verify that the Team Foundation Server configuration is set according to recommended best practices
- Determine configurations that differ from default, recommended, or required settings
Identify the source of problems in an unhealthy Team Foundation Server deployment
Work Item Templates
Team Foundation Power Tools installs a Work Item Templates feature that supports the ability to create, apply, capture, and set default work item templates. This feature adds additional menu items to the Team Work Item Templates menu.
You use work item templates to create or update work items. Work item templates automatically set field values. This feature conveniently reduces the number of steps to create or update work items. For example, you can create a task template that will set the area path, iteration path, and discipline whenever you use it to create or edit a task.